Sunday, 19 December 2010

Metroid Fusion: A Most Pleasant Suprise

A few days ago I received an unexpected parcel through the post. I'm not the kind of guy that buys a lot online and has a constant stream of of parcel arriving at his house; I always know what's in a delivered parcel, so this really threw me off. The parcel contained two things: a hand written letter and a complete copy of Metroid Fusion, released on the Game Boy Advance in 2002 and the fourth game in the Metroid series. I almost instantly figured out what had happened.

Complete. The way I like it.
 The letter was from a very good friend of mine whom I knew while I was at university. During my third year I leant my friend Metroid Fusion to play on his Game Boy Advance Micro, as he was looking for something “different”. When it comes to gaming recommendations, I have a pretty good record and, of course, my friend thoroughly enjoyed Metroid Fusion. However, when the end of university life finally came, the game had become lost and I was promised the return of it through the post ASAP. This was about five or six months ago, and I had all but littlest hope of seeing my dear game again. But I'm happy to say that my friend came through for me and, as the letter explained, even though the game had been lost, he'd bought another copy for me.

Needless to say that I'm thrilled to see the game in my hands again. However, a quick read through the manual led me to the startling conclusion that this game is almost 9 years old. Has it really been that long? There's children alive today that can walk and talk and who can understand the horrible loss of Michael Jackson, yet were born after this game was originally sold. Madness. I must have been about 13 years old when I got Metroid Fusion for Christmas, I remember it well. I was almost certain I would be getting it from an awesome auntie whom always came through for me with respect for presents. So certain that I took my beautiful, clear blue GBA with me to my granddad's house, with spare batteries, ready for a Metroid binge. I wonder if it's empirically bad that many of my gaming memories seem so vivid in comparison to other events that are most definitely of more importance. Either way, it's safe to say that games have moulded me into the person I am today.
Welcome home.

So, yes, that was a good day in which my faith in humanity was rekindled and I got Metroid Fusion.  It really is the corner stone of my relatively small, but strong GBA game collection. I look forward to blasting through it again in the near future and regaining my 100% save as well as my personal best time. But perhaps more importantly, I've realised that the GBA is now a retro console. I never took an interest in the DS, and when I did get one a few months ago I made sure I got the “Lite” version with the GBA port, perpetuating my insistence that the GBA is relatively modern. It is not, however, and I need to think seriously about grabbing a few more key titles before they become gaming rarities. This is an issue I'm currently facing with last generation's home consoles; they simply won't sell cheap second hand PS2, Xbox and GC games forever.

But for now, I'm going to enjoy Christmas with my GBA and hopefully revisit some of my favourite games. I never did finish Golden Sun 2; something I really need to get done with Golden Sun 3 emerging over the horizon.

Oh, and if the friend I mentioned reads this, and he'll know who he is, cheers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.