Wednesday, 2 February 2011

RetroGemsUK Unveiling


Hello friends, it's been a while. I am aware that my audience isn't very large, but I am grateful to anyone that chooses to spend their precious time reading my blog and I am therefore sorry for the lack of posts of late.

The reason for this is that I've been very busy on a new project. As of last Saturday I am now trading on eBay.co.uk as RetroGemsUK.



The Prince's Trust course that I have mentioned in previous posts was one for young individuals interested in starting their own business. As I have been unemployed for quite some time now, I thought it a good time to take a chance and attempt a dream of mine that I've had for some time now; that dream being to run my own retro gaming shop.

I had learnt a lot of things on the course including marketing, sales, accountancy, taxes and more. The most important thing I learnt, however, is that it's pivotal to have a water-tight business plan if one is to be serious about this kind of thing. For that reason, the last few weeks have been spent acquiring items from charity shops and car boot sales, cleaning and repairing said items, taking photos, writing thorough descriptions, building a database etc, etc. It takes time to do this kind of thing properly.

Got a lot of good things on sale.
With the help of The Prince's Trust, I would like to have my own website where I can trade from as well as acquiring the contacts I'll need to get a better selection of items as well as imports. However, as part of my business plan, I need to get a good idea of how fast items will sell, get some feedback, build a reputation and other things that eBay are very good at providing.

As I would like to keep people informed about the development of my budding business, I have started a new blog also called RetroGemsUK. So please, check it out.

As for my gaming, I've picked up a few new games for myself which, unfortunately, I haven't had the time to play as my gaming efforts have been focused on Mass Effect. Since my girlfriend bought a new 120gb hard drive to replace our current 20gb Xbox 360 hard drive, we have been able to install games to said hard drive allowing us to play our games again, as the Xbox 360 has been showing it's “age” lately.

Fortunately, I finished Mass Effect this morning; a short game that, however, is the gaming definition of “Quality over quantity”. My girlfriend has been enjoying it so much that she bought the Dragon Age Ultimate Pack, or whatever it is called, for a mere £17.99 brand new off Play.com. Bargain.

As for me, well, you'll hear from me shortly. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. What're ya buying?
    What're ya selling?

    Legend.

    Hope it's going well Mikey-san, a week in business now maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tommy

    A week and a bit, yes. I've been reluctant to put more items on eBay as no one was buying. Fortunately I sold my first item yesterday, so I'll be posting that off today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.