Sunday, 22 May 2011

Pruning Your Collection

I'm not sure if this applies to all retro game collectors, collectors of any sort, or just me, but it seems I've finally come to a point where I can stand back and say: My collection is large, perhaps it's time time to let go of a few things.

My girlfriend recently returned from her stay in Leeds, where she took the last of her university exam resits. We promised ourselves that we would start seriously looking into emigrating to The Netherlands following her completion of her exams, and not before. One prominent issue that's kept coming up when discussing our emigration in the past has been the large volume of “stuff” my girlfriend and I own. Of course, this is not just gaming items, it also includes DVDs, comics, books, clothes, boots etc. etc. and believe me, between us we have a lot of “stuff”.

My girlfriend also promised me that there would be no pressure on me to reduce the size of my game collection, however I can't help but feel a little guilty. A decent proportion of the games I own are games I've bought cheaply on a whim, put on the shelf, and never really played, whereas others are mediocre games that I've played partially or completely, but never intend to return to, so ideally these are games I should have no problem letting go of, right?

We've all seen these pictures. I for one shudder at the thought of my collection getting even remotely as large as this one is.

I promised myself many years ago that I would not get rid of any of my games ever again, due to me regretting past decisions to do so. As a result of such decisions I've lost out on games I find myself wanting again now such as Cool Spot, Bubsy Bobcat, Sonic 3D and Super Mario Sunshine to name a few. By going back on the promise I made myself, I could end up once again selling a game I don't feel I want now, only to crave it later on in life. For example, I know that if I get rid of the horrendous Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for Xbox 360, in ten years time I'll be wondering why I didn't try harder to beat the game and have to pay out of my nose for it due to it's future cult following. Another would be Red Faction 3, a game with a pathetic single player campaign, but with an impressive physics engine I can see myself reminiscing over when the game itself becomes “retro”.

At least it looks good...

Has anyone else had to take the plunge and prune their retro game collection? Have you regretted it or have you found it to be good for you, having yourself control your collection and not vice versa. If you have then I'd love to hear from you, so please, leave a quick comment. Thank you kindly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.