Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Sloppy update

Prepare yourself to read what is most possibly the sloppiest blog post I've done, ever.

LET'S GET READY TO RAMBLE!

I will admit to you all the obvious, my blog has been on the back-burner for some time now. The last time I made a blog post I was still living with my girlfriend's parents in Eindhoven, in the Netherlands. Everything has changed now, for the better. 

At the start of December, my girlfriend and I signed a contract on a flat in the small Dutch town of Roermond, close to the German border. The price was right but the catch was that our tenancy would not start until the 1st of January. So we waited patiently, enduring the 1.5-2 hour, inter-province journey to and from work every day and entertaining ourselves with the few belongings we had brought with us from the UK.
Eventually the day came when we could move into out new flat, but this came with its own problems. The house was dirty, the bed was broken, there was a hole in the ceiling and worst of all, the place was infested with German cockroaches. The guy living there before us left the flat a week early, and left the thermostat on at a whopping 28 degree Celsius and food particles all over; needless to say, there were a lot of cockroaches. About a month and a half later, through great vigilance and perseverance, we managed to exterminate the cockroaches all by ourselves. I then travelled back to the UK to load all of our possessions into my girlfriend's mother's van, which she drove all the way to our new home in the Netherlands.

Now, at the end of February, we finally have a place to call home. Most of our things have been unpacked and we can now enjoy our evenings together playing games, watching The Dog Whisperer and working on our "side projects".

What do I mean by that? Well, my girlfriend has taken the plunge and is investing her hard earned Euros into starting her own online, which sells high-quality, hand-made video game memorabilia. Check it out! She also takes requests, if you're interested.

And as for me, well I tried my hand at writing a few short stories and comic strips to keep my writing skills well maintained and eventually landed a position as a writer on a Sega-themed website. You may have heard of it, it's called Sega-Addicts. I've written quite a few news stories on there and have recently written a review of the recently released Half-Life Dreamcast mod.

So that's what I've been keeping myself busy doing this whole time. It is not without its difficultly, the call centre job I have is very draining and the company I work for is, for lack of a better word, retarded. So I'm keeping myself open to all possibilities and working hard to make sure my move to the Netherlands is a permanent one.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.