Thursday, 7 June 2012

Dear Sega

While I never mentioned it on my blog or anywhere else, quite a few months ago I sat down and crossed out another item on my childhood to-do list as I crafted a hand-written letter to Sega of Japan.



I clearly remember asking my mum as a child how I would tell Sega how much I loved them and their mascot Sonic the Hedgehog. Her answer was to write a letter. Unfortunately, there was practically no way for me to find out where Sonic 'lived' and at this point in time I was completely unaware that Japan was even a country, let alone the epicentre of all the gaming I loved so much in the early 90's. Roughly fifteen years later a quick search on Google brought up the address of Sega of Japan's corporate office in a matter of seconds.

The letter I wrote was almost a love letter, describing some of my earliest and fondest Sega memories such as the first time I played on a Mega Drive with my little brother and uncle and the time I went to London's Sega World. I don't expect a response even though I included a return address, and I didn't write it to anyone in particular either, I just felt that it was something I needed to do.

The letter is in some Dutch sorting office as we speak, but it isn't tracked, and I sent it as cheaply as possible, so I have no idea when it will finally arrive in Japan, if it even ever does. But if I find a letter from Sega in my mailbox three or four months from now then it will certainly be a big surprise, don't you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.