Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Car Boot Bargain: Link The Faces of Evil


So in my last blog post I described the story of my newly acquired Philips CD-i, which I bought for a mere €10 with controllers and a stack of games. The games that I bought vary considerably from educational games such as A Visit to Sesame Street: Letters, Dutch exclusives such a Lingo, VCDs, graphical music CDs and more. In amongst all of the eighteen games that came with it, one stands out like a mouldy turd in amongst a bunch of rotten eggs and this game is Link the Faces of Evil.

The story goes that Nintendo and Phillips originally had an agreement in the early nineties that would see Philips design a CD-based add-on for the Super Nintendo. CD technology was coming of age at this time and many rival game hardware companies were jumping on the band-wagon such as the Sega Mega CD, the Atari Jaguar CD, the PC Engine CD and more. For whatever reason the deal fell through and Philips went on to develop the CD-i instead, however they were allowed the Mario and Zelda license to develop their own series of games for their console. This resulted in one of the worst Mario games being released, Hotel Mario and the three worst Zelda games in existence, Zelda Wand of Gamelon, Link the Faces of Evil and Zelda's Adventure.

Even though these are the worst uses of Nintendo licences ever, with Nintendo having little to no input into their development, they are also the most expensive if we are to exclude limited edition of classic Zelda series entries. With this being said, I almost had a heart attack when I saw it complete with manual in what was considered 'junk' by the old Dutch guy I bought it off.

As described in my previous blog post, the CD-i console itself is unable to spin discs properly, so none of the games i have can be played. This is a real pity as, out of all the games I have for it, Link the Faces of Evil would have been the first one I would have had a go at. It's animated cut scenes with their low production value and poor voice acting are infamous across youtube and the world of youtube poops, but little is said about the actual gameplay. I know it'll be bad, we've all seen the Angry Video Game Nerd video, but I feel as a fan of the series I need to experience this anomaly for myself.

Hmm... I wonder how much more money I'll have to spend on this machine before I can play my crappy Zelda game...

I think it is common for most retro gamers to have at least a few games they are unable to play due to not having the right cable, or having a faulty console. As well as the CD-i, I have a broken Game Gear that I've never been able to play, even though I have some fantastic games for it.

Do you have a similar frustrating tale of gaming woe that you'd like to share? As always I' love to hear about it, so drop me a comment below, and I'll leave you with one of the most popular CD-i Zelda/Mario youtube poops I know, What is Spaghetti?. Sing along if you know the words.


If you like what you saw then consider following me on Twitter @MegaWestgarth, on my Tumblr page and on Google+ at +Michael Westgarth.

2 comments:

  1. cd-i_collector02/09/2012, 10:31

    Congrats on finding a copy of this game at a great price. They are selling for around GBP 30 - 50 on ebay right now. Zelda's Adventure and Hotel Mario are fantastic cd-i games (Nintendo licensed). You can pick up a working cd-i player quite cheap on ebay, so you will be able to play your cd-i games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite lucky that the CD-i is the only thing that's broken. The controllers and games are far harder to come by. I'll get a working CD-i sometime no doubt, preferably not off eBay though.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.