Saturday, 25 August 2012

Flea Market Find: Tetris Boardgame

My girlfriend's hand, not mine.
 As described in a previous blog post, a few weekend ago I visited a flea-market in the Dutch village of Reuver where I bought a bunch of Philips VideoPac games (the European version of the Magnavox Odyssey) and, on a separate occasion, bought a Philips CD-i, controllers and games including Link The Faces of Evil. At this very same flea-market my girlfriend snagged a bargain in this officially licensed Tetris board/home game which she managed to haggle down to €2.


The game is almost entirely complete save for one small peg used to keep the score, which we easily replaced with a rolled up piece of scrap paper. Aside from that, everything else is present including every last one of the tetrominoes. I must say that it's a really peculiar feeling to have a bunch of those familiar shapes in the palm of my hand.


The game itself is simple enough to play. Each player takes turns pressing the grey button on the game's base which spins a wheel with pictures of each tetromino on. Whichever piece is shown when the wheel stops  must be taken by both players from the pile and placed on their side of the board in a downwards direction in the same way you would when playing actual Tetris with the difference is between this version and the actual game is that when you get a line, it does not get removed from play. When a player scores a line, the divider in the centre of the play area gets moved away from ther scorer, towards the other player, reducing the size of their play area. The game continues like this, with doubles, triples and tetrises moving the divider further than multiple singles, and the player to hit the divider first with their Tetris pieces looses.


A pretty simple game yes, but a decent use of the Tetris license and it made for a nice game to play while eating my Sunday lunch with my girlfriend and watching a film, just like my Pac-Man board game does.

3 comments:

  1. Great find! This actually looks like an example of a video game based board game done right! I could definitely see myself playing this one. The Pac-Man board game is classic as well, but I think that this Tetris one was executed just a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works as long as the players don't have a decent grasp over how to play Tetris properly, if you do you'll just end up in a stalemate situation every time. But you're right. This is about as close to Tetris you can get in a board game without any electronics. I'm pretty happy with it, and at that kind of price there was no reason NOT to get it.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I know what I'm looking for next time I go to a flea market...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.