Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Game Boy Advance Motherload

The Dutch culture isn't one that prides itself on the reusing of products by means of selling them on, or at least not to the extent that the British do. There are no charity shops, barely any second hand shops that aren't run by antique dealers and the only pawn brokers I have ever seen deal exclusively in jewellery. Even the flea markets are filled with old folk trying to sell off worthless cassette tapes and light fixtures at ridiculous prices. Well, mostly.

Imagine the excitement that bubbled through me upon the discovery of a new pawn brokers opening in the tiny little town of Roermond in which I live. Over the weekend, during one of mine and my girlfriend's many long walks, we decided to pop in and have a nosey around. What we found completely took us by surprise. Fifteen boxed Game Boy Advance games, complete with manuals, adverts and all other other gubbins for a total of €40.

These aren't your ordinary, run-of-the mill GBA games either. We're talking about classics such as Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Advance Wars, Sword of Mana and many more. The shop owners clearly had no idea of what they were dealing with, and the average price of each game was €2.50. We tried to haggle down the prices, as if we were doing them a favour by taking these 'ancient' games off their hands, but they wouldn't budge. Even so, the prices were ridiculously low, for example a complete copy of Pokémon Emerald was priced at €0.70.

I even managed to get three Yu-Gi-Oh games out of it, one being a Konami 'double pack' and one being the ill-fated DungeonDice Monsters tie-in. I'm secretly a Yu-Gi-Oh fan, and the GBA games satisfy the need to buy the cards in real life, so I'm very pleased with my new Yu-Gi-Oh games.


Another game I'm happy to get is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, as it also contains Four Swords. Now I have two copies I can finally play Four Swords as it's one of the only Zelda games I have never had the opportunity to play due to needing two cartridges. Having friends helped too.

We're not really in a financial situation to make these kinds of purchases, but a couple of these games are actually doubles so we hope to sell them on to make back some of the money we spent on this trove of GBA classics. If any of you readers are interested in any of these games in particular, you can get in touch with me via my 'Contact' page. A list of all of the games we bought can be found after the jump.

If you like what you see then consider following me on Twitter @MegaWestgarth, on my Tumblr page and on Google+ at +Michael Westgarth.



Games Purchased:

  • Advance Wars
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
  • F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Sonic Advance
  • Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Sword of Mana

  • Pokémon Red
  • Pokémon Leaf Green
  • Pokémon Emerald
  • Golden Sun
  • Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
  • Yu-Gi-Oh!: DungeonDice Monsters
  • Yu-Gi-Oh!: Day of the Duelist (World Championship Tournament 2005 Edition)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Double Pack (includes The Sacred Cards and Reshef of Destruction)

4 comments:

  1. Nice score man! I'd be interested in the Super Mario Advance 4. I don't know what you looking to get for it, but if it's riced right(as I don't have much spare $), I may take it off of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jason, thanks for the comment,

      The game is in extremely good condition and comes with all the bits and bobs it had when sold. It even has unused star points with it.

      I don't know how much it would be worth in North America, but I couldn't let it go for any less than €25, not including shipping prices.

      I guess I shot myself in the foot being so honest about how much I bought these for, but I really do need to make some money back on these, and complete GBA games are like gold dust in mainland Europe.

      I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear...

      Delete
  2. awesome find.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.