Saturday, 20 October 2012

Meanwhile in Terlawk


Here's another one of those round up articles where I'll give you an insight into what I've been up to inbetween these blog posts that you lot read. For those who aren't aware, I've made the transition from part-time volunteer writer to aspiring full-time freelance writer, as can be seen on my 'About Me' page. I've been sending out pitches for article ideas to every publication under the sun, as well as writing for Bitmob/ Venture Beat and Sega Addicts.


Bitmob/ Venture Beat


Were the fantastic controls of the SNES' best selling game, Super Mario World, actually surpassed by those of Donkey Kong Country? This was a question I approached in an article I wrote for community video game journalism site Bitmob. Not only was this article featured on the front page of the site, it was also published on Venture Beat and was selected to be part of a community round up of 'control' themed articles.

Following the completion of Mass Effect 2 I wrote up an article on the affect Xbox achievement points had on how I handled the romance aspect of the game. The title of this article was 'How I sold my soul for sex in the Mass Effect series' and was also selected to be on Bitmob's front page, as well as being featured on Venture Beat. Although Mass Effect 2 may be 'old news' to some, my surprise at the hold achievements points had over my in game choices is worth having a butcher's at.


Sega Addicts


Promotion to News Editor
I am extremely proud and excited to announce that I am now the News Editor for the Sega-centric website Sega Addicts. What this means for me is that I will be thoroughly reading all news posts made by all of the site's talented writers and fine tuning our style guide in order to ensure that everything on the site is of a professional level. We are already very close to this level, and if you have any interest in Sega or Sega related games, please do check out the site.

Review: Sonic Adventure 2 HD
Sega have been very big on the rereleasing of older games in HD as of late including NiGHTS, Jet Set Radio, M2 arcade games and Sonic Adventure 2. I wasn't impressed by this poor attempt made by Sega to steal the pennies of their fans. Check out the review here.

Interview: Senile Team’s Roel and Jeroen van Mastbergen
As part of Sega Addict's Dreamcast month I contacted homebrew Dreamcast developer Senile Team to get an insight into independent game development on older consoles. Roel and Jeroen van Mastbergen, two Dutch brothers who make up the core of Senile Team, provided that insight in this fantastic interview. Love the Dreamcast? Check out the interview here.

Two-Thousand Words on Rouge the Bat’s Boobies
This one was more of an challenge indirectly set by site Feature Editor Stevie Grant. Also as part of the site's Dreamcast month, I took a serious look into the Sonic series' most sexualised character, Rouge the Bat. The 2,000 article looks at what makes her sexualised, why Sega may have decided to make her that way, and the results of that decision. The title may sound silly, but the feature is not. Have a look right here.


Incoming!

Keep an eye on Sega Addicts because as part of our Halloween month I will be uploading a spooky story with a very slight relation to Sega. It'll also feature the Chuckle brothers.

November is also rapidly approaching which means only one thing. National Novel Writing Month. I participated and failed last year, in 2011. But the act of furiously writing a book during train journeys was a fantastic experiment, and opened me up to the world of writing. This year I intend to complete my novel, edit it, and pitch it for publication. 

So keep on reading and if you have any questions or comments, leave them below or shoot me an e-mail. I'm always happy to answer your questions. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm so poor...! But yeah, enough of working for stupid people, time to work for myself. This is all I've ever wanted. Nice to hear from you by the way.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.