Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Bitmob: Are We Squandering Our Ability to Interact Directly with Developers?


The following is an excerpt of the original version of an article I recently submitted to video game journalism community site Bitmob. The article was chosen to be shown on Bitmob's the front page. The article can be read in its entirety here.

Many questions asked by children can leave parents feeling dumbfounded, embarrassed, and awkward as they attempt to provide an appropriate explanation to mature or complex topics. Equally so, a child of the 80's and 90's asking “Where do games come from?” would have most parents scratching their heads as they tried to figure out how the mystical cartridges they kept giving their children actually came about.

As an adult with a far better understanding of the process of creating video games, I've taken it upon myself to discover the true origins of the key games that defined my childhood. This doesn't simply mean creating a list of development studios and teams, I want to learn about the individual people and individual minds from which these important pieces of my own personal history were born, as well as what they went on to do, and where they are today.

Although such a task would have been near to impossible for my parents in the days before the internet, my access to 21st century online social media and networking makes it ridiculously easy. However, a minority of bitter gamers who take the ability to interact directly with developers for granted, may ruin it for us all.

Sound interesting? The rest of my article can be read through this link.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.