Sunday, 9 December 2012

Sir Patrick Moore, The Games Master


Sir Patrick Moore, world renowned astronomer, but fondly known by many my age as the 'GamesMaster' from a British videogame television program of the same name, has died today at the age of 89 from old age at his home in Selsey, West Sussex. A close friend describes the peaceful, yet saddening circumstances of his death,
After a short spell in hospital last week, it was determined that no further treatment would benefit him, and it was his wish to spend his last days in his own home, Farthings, where he today passed on, in the company of close friends and carers and his cat Ptolemy. He passed away peacefully at 12.25pm this afternoon .
When my girlfriend read the news earlier today as seen on Nintendo Life, I didn't know quite what to say. I was speechless. She started her sentence with "You know Sir Patrick Moore...?" And I quickly butted in,

"The Games Master."

"He died today."


I tried to find words, but for at least 30 seconds my mouth remained still, jaw hanging ajar. I found myself getting a little emotional, confused as to why the passing away of someone I only knew from his role as the Games Master would bother me so much.


There's been a lot of articles being written by American gaming websites over the last printed issue of Nintendo Power magazine. Many people have been upset; some angry, some bleary-eyed  and some confused. But reading article after article of written by grown adults acting as if someone close had passed away annoyed me. The idea that something as trivial as a magazine, which has changed staff and publisher countless times since those writing about it actually bought it as children, would bring these same people to tears certainly sounds over dramatic.

Today I feel as those I can empathise better with those people. Sir Patrick Moore was a British icon in terms of gaming during the 90's, offering cheats to the little boys and girls that needed his help with their tricky new games. People say this all the time, but the world of gaming and game culture was extremely fragmented before the days of the internet. Sir Patrick Moore, as the Games Master, brought some of that together.

However, unlike Nintendo Power, a physical set of magazines that can be kept for centuries to come and may possibly return one day in the future, Sir Patrick Moore has gone forever. The Games Master has gone forever. And I'm more than comfortable to admit that his passing away upsets me deeply.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.