Thursday, 26 September 2013

The Escapist: We Can Be Heroes



To mark the broadcasting of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Escapist have published an article of mine which looks at the genetic basis of real-life superheroes and the medicinal benefits they can bring to us all -- it's called "We Can Be Heroes".

It's been over six months since the publication of my first article on The Escapist -- "The Scientific Accuracy of Tails' Tails" -- and the first time any written work of mine had appeared on a major videogame journalistic website. At the time however, I was unable to promote the article as thoroughly as I'd have liked to due to the internet cutting out at my then-home in The Netherlands. In fact, I only found out that that the article had been published five days after it had appeared on The Escapist. Needless to say it was a frustrating and upsetting time for me.

But promote it I did; on my blog and via Twitter. The article opened doors for me, which resulted in my stints with Geek Insider, GamerTell and Alienware Arena. In turn, writing for these outlets opened further doors which saw me obtaining review and preview opportunities for games such as God Mode, Surgeon Simulator 2013 and Sanctum 2. I also obtained my very first press pass when attending MCM London Comic Con which resulted in me conducting some on-the-spot interviews, writing some more previews and... Well, you get the idea.

While I'm still enjoying writing about videogames as well as other topics, I'm not even close to being in a position where I can do this kind of work for a living. But that's why articles like "We Can Be Heroes" are so important. So whenever you have a moment, please have a read and -- most importantly -- let me know what you think. 

Cheers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.