Monday, 25 November 2013

I Bought a Thing: Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition


Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition is a game I've had my eye on for some time now. I'm familiar with its previous life as a mid-2000s arcade game and as "the world's final Dreamcast game" as well as its existence on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as Under Defeat HD. But a physical release with all on-disc DLC, patches and a separate CD soundtrack? How could I resist?

Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition was being sold directly by Western publisher Rising Star Games at MCM Birmingham Comic Con who was having a "two for £20" sale on selected titles in their back catalogue. I went halvers with my girlfriend Emma and bought Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition for the PlayStation 3 while she got Virtue's Last Reward for the Nintendo 3DS.

So far, I'm enjoying the game very much on numerous levels. In a world of 2D shooters full of sprites and pink bullets, it's nice to see a more standard shooter -- i.e. not Bullet Hell -- with a modern presentation. It's a bit shocking to see so much slowdown on what is effectively a HD, widescreen port of a Dreamcast game, but for someone of my low skill level, I see that as a cheeky advantage.

My love of 2D shooters, or "shmups" as they're also known, is the same as my love for 2D fighters. I adore them on a technical level and I often find their graphical representation charming, but I'm absolutely awful at both genres -- really, really awful. Even so, every time I play Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition I get a little bit further and a little bit better, and that's good enough for me.

I've bought a bunch of things recently -- most of which are from MCM Birmingham Comic Con -- and therefore I thought I'd clump them together under the heading "I Bought a Thing", just to add some continuity between these particular posts. If you've a problem with that and want to write me an angry letter, you know how to get in touch!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.