Thursday, 5 December 2013

Sega Addicts: Dear Sega -- The Disappointment of a Non-Response



I already announced in a previous blog post that I'd be parting ways with the wonderful Sega Addicts after over a year and a half of news reports, reviews, features and podcast appearances. But behind the scenes I still had some unfinished business to attend to -- namely the non-response of Sega to my October article "Sonic, Sochi and Russia’s anti-gay crisis – Why Sega fans should care".

Those who follow my blog and my thoughts on Twitter will know that I've tried to get both Sega and Nintendo to comment on Russia's anti-LGBT laws and their links to the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics and in turn Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. Equal rights for all people of the world is a topic I'm passionate about for numerous reasons, and I feel as though not enough is being done from the upper echelons of major, multi-national corporations to change things for the better or even acknowledge that there's a problem in the first place.

As it turns out, Sega is one of those non-responsible companies. I'm using the "non" prefix specifically because that's very much Sega's take on the whole situation. It's not that they have "no comment" to provide on the issue, they simply won't acknowledge that there's an issue to begin with.

It's a pity, and one that I've described in my final Sega Addicts article "Dear Sega: The Disappointment of a Non-Response and a Farewell from Michael Westgarth". But it's important to note that while it does mark a "farewell" from Sega Addicts, the underlying message is that I no longer have the time or the energy to support Sega -- a company who has betrayed the trust of their customers and eroded their self-respect over the last year.

When I started this blog it was called Sega MikeyDrive, now you'd be hard pressed to find any recent blog posts that have anything positive to say about the company. I've fallen out of love with Sega and thus, my time with Sega Addicts has come to its definitive end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.