Monday, 13 January 2014

I Bought a Thing: World of Warcraft - The Shattering




I nabbed this hardback -- the full title of which is World of Warcraft: The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm -- from British discount book shop The Works for the low, low price of 99 pence.

I was more than happy to pay the price of £1.49, as was so boldly displayed on the eye catching "When It's Gone It's Gone!" sticker, the young fellow at the till rang it up as a mere 99 pence.

RRP £26.00 -> £1.49 -> 99p = BARGAIN



The suspiciously high RRP on the sticker was a cock-up by The Works, as the book's inside cover has an RRP of $26 USD. Even so, the real UK RRP of World of Warcraft: The Shattering in hardcover -- be that a US import or a UK version -- would have still been a pretty penny to buy from a "conventional" book shop.

I used to be a big Warcraft fan about a decade ago, following my completion of Warcraft III: Reign of Chao, and I was pleasantly enamoured by the deep mythology and lore than ran throughout the game. I spent a good deal of time after beating Warcraft III digging into the back story and trying to bridge the gap between the game and its follow-up World of Warcraft

As such, I've read and own a handful of the Warcraft novels -- although it's been so long since I actually read them that that I can't recall their exact titles. Of the books I've read, all have been well written and tap into Warcraft's mythology appropriately, so buying World of Warcraft: The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm was a easy decision to make, despite it's ridiculous name and its place within the World of Warcraft timeline -- a game I've not played.

This blog post is of course part of a mini-series I started before the new year titled "I Bought A Thing". So far I've only had the chance to write about my purchase of Under Defeat HD Deluxe Edition while at MCM Birmingham Comic Con. Nevertheless, I have a fair few purchases I'd still like to blather about including a stack of The Authority comic books, a few The Authority graphic novels and probably some other The Authority stuff.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.