Sunday, 19 January 2014

TSSZ: Vertical Slice - For The Kids




The following is an excerpt from "Vertical Slice: For The Kids"; an article written by me and recently published on TSSZ. It discusses the new, child-friendly direction the Sonic the Hedgehog series has taken in recent years and how my attitude towards these games has changed for the better, thanks to a seven year old family friend.

As a teenage Sonic fan, I expected new Sonic games to cater to my needs and was disappointed when they didn't. As an adult I realised my disappointment stemmed in some part from my frustration at not being able to recreate those glorious childhood days of playing the Mega Drive for hours on end.

That's not to say that Sega didn't try to add maturity to Sonic games alongside the “maturation” of the series' fanbase. Sonic Adventure, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic 2006 are all evidence of Sega's experimentation with different tones and target audiences – games which, ironically, turned me off the series as a young adult. But it's clear that Sega have brought Sonic round full circle and are once again attempting to market their games directly at children, as was the case in the Mega Drive era.

But even if you strip recent Sonic games of their tone, their narrative and their general aesthetics, a problem still remains: they're so very easy. Or at least, that's what I thought.

"Vertical Slice: For The Kids" can be read in full over on TSSZ.


More from the Vertical Slice series:

Sonic Fans are LOVE [TSSZ]
Vertical Slice Xmas Special [TSSZ]
Sonic Dash and Abusive Video Game Manipulation [TSSZ]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.