Thursday, 13 February 2014

Ars Technica: Science inches closer to real BioShock-style plasmids



"Science inches closer to real BioShock-style plasmids" is a feature article of mine that has recently been published on Ars Technica. It's the first time I've worked with Ars Technica and the article is easily the longest and the most in-depth piece I've ever written for an online publication. Needless to say, I'm immensely proud of the article itself and I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who takes the time to read it.

"Science inches closer to real BioShock-style plasmids" can be read in full over at Ars Technica.

From my experience, it's not often that the realms of science and videogame fantasy genuinely come within close proximity to one another. Sure, there's plenty of games that feature scientific concepts and use scientific themes, but most of them are no more scientific than the vaguely scientific technobabble from your average episode of Star Trek.

BioShock was released in August 2007, a month before I started my degree in Human Genetics at the University of Leeds. A few months later and BioShock became a frequent topic of discussion between my new found university friend and I. The game contained the fictional and now-iconic "plasmids", while our studies covered the very real plasmids of the natural world.

Although I don't expect anyone to remember, I made a direct reference to these BioShock-related discussions in the very first paragraph of my very first article for The Escapist: The Scientific Accuracy of Tails' Tails".
During our university days my geneticist friends and I would often unwind from intense bouts of lectures, experiments and report writing by attempting to answer profound, videogame-related questions. Could the human genome accept foreign genetic material like Rapture's plasmids? Could a man's excellence in combat be identified genetically and duplicated as performed in Metal Gear Solid's Les Enfants Terribles experiments? And could a fox be born with two fully functional tails?
It's a question I've always wanted to explore, and it's a scientific topic I've always wanted to share. Ars Technica have given me the opportunity to do just that, so go ahead, check it out!

"Science inches closer to real BioShock-style plasmids" can be read in full over at Ars Technica.



Similar Articles:

  • We Can Be Heroes [The Escapist]
  • The Scientific Accuracy of Tails' Tails [The Escapist] 
  • Metal Gear Rising’s prediction of a privatized American police force mirrors reality [VentureBeat]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.