Tuesday, 4 February 2014

I Bought a Thing: Superman Last Son of Krypton



These graphics novels popped up quite unexpectedly as I was walking through the local Northfield high street here in Birmingham, UK. At one point along the busy road there's a small collection of market stalls selling bed sheets, cleaning products, Christmas decorations. This weekend there was a cheerful chap selling new paperback graphics novels; three for £10.

Three for £10 = £3.33 Each = BARGAIN


The selection of books on offer was surprising, and and my girlfriend, Emma, and I certainly would have nabbed some more if we had the money to do so. But after some deliberation, we settled with the following three:
  • Superman: Last Son of Krypton
  • Action Comics: Volume 2
  • Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man: Volume 2


Superman: Last Son of Krypton was a must buy for me, especially after reading a reprint of Action Comics: Last Son #1 in the Free Comic Book Day 2013 Superman Special Edition

The book was a collaboration between DC writer Geoff Johns and Superman: The Movie (and Superman II, sort of) director Richard Donner. It's effectively a "What If?" scenario in which a second Kryptonian boy lands on Earth, requiring Superman to re-evaluate his relationship with the American government who holds the boy for research purposes.

I've heard that Superman: Last Son of Krypton loses its way near its end and has no real impact on Superman lore. However, at a mere £3.33, I was more than willing to take the plunge.

Check back on MegaWestgarth periodically as I'll be rambling about the other two books very soon. Alternatively, you can stay up to date with everything I do by following me on Twitter @MegaWestgarth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.