Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Japanese PSN Account Adventure

MegaWestgarth Puyo Puyo Tetris


I already mentioned this on Tumblr a few days ago, but I now have a Japanese PSN account. The process was smooth, quick and simple, and now I have a nice long list of PlayStation 3 demos queued up for download.

I learnt of the advantages of a Japanese PSN account way before I got a PlayStation 3 via former Sega Addicts chum Joshua Newey. During an ancient episode of the Sega Addicts Kids Table, Josh talked about how he had set up his own Japanese account, which came with a PlayStation Plus trial, which in turned allowed him to download and play a shed load of obscure Japanese PSOne games including LSD: Dream Emulator. As for me, I'm only really interested in playing Japanese exclusive demos.

It's something I've been meaning to do ever since I got my PlayStation 3, but I never felt motivated enough to put aside the time to do it. This was, of course, a really dumb mindset to have as setting up a Japanese PSN account takes 10-15 minutes with a decent guide. I used a guide put together by NoeoGAF user Kassatsu -- check it out.

Actually getting demos on my hard drive, however, takes ages. This is very likely due to the fact that I'm no where near a Japanese PSN server, resulting in horrendously sluggish download speeds. So far I've only had a crack at Puyo Puyo Tetris, which is so bright and colourful it almost makes my eyes rocket out of their sockets. It's a game that I'm considering importing because I'm a big Puyo Puyo fan, because Emma is a Tetris fanatic, and because it's a very "Japanese", which I find appealing.

Unfortunately the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo is too short for me to get a feel of what the full game will be like. It features a single, two round match against the easiest opponent imaginable, which doesn't allow for the heated, back-and-forth Puyo Puyo and Tetris battles I yearn for. But you never know, I might still get the game after all, and I'll let you all know as soon as I do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.