Saturday, 29 March 2014

MCM Birmingham Comic Con March 2014

MegaWestgarth brony magic


Although I didn't mention it before the event, Emma and I went to MCM Birmingham Comic Con last weekend. Even though I was sceptical following my visit to dissatisfying experience with MCM Birmingham last year, Emma managed to get complimentary tickets via someone she works with so we had nothing to lose by visiting.

Unfortunately, the first MCM Birmingham 2014 was smaller than the last with practically every aisle being a carbon copy of the one before it, repeating over and over like a cheap Hanna-Barbera cartoon. "Geeky" tee-shirt maker, used comic book seller, pocky merchant, miscellaneous tat peddler, over and over and over.

Namco Bandai had a display where JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: All Star Battle and some other game no one cares about were playable. The games weren't my cup of tea and certainly weren't worth queuing for. An original arcade version of Ikaruga was playable, but children hogged it for ages, playing with unlimited lives, dying over and over until it made me sad and I had to move on.

Around two o'clock in the afternoon the appearance of a young fellow in a brony furry costume and the increasing pungent smell of unclean bodies prompted Emma and I to leave. We hung out in the far more civilised Hobbycraft Expo (basically MCM Birmingham, but saggier) where I paid for Emma to have a massage.

Then we went home and ate fish and chips while watching To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar.


Here's some blog posts regarding the far superior MCM London Comic Con. Read 'em; they're better than anything I've written here aside from part where I was, like "Then we went home and ate fish and chips while watching To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar." -- that part was great.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.