Saturday, 8 March 2014

Returning to Sonic The Comic Issue 127



Sonic the Comic was a fortnightly, British comic book published by Egmont Magazines that's not to be confused with the American Sonic the Hedgehog comic series published by Archie. 

I bought Sonic the Comic for a number of years in the late 1990's/ early 2000's before moving away from the publication and comic books for many years. Today I attempted to get back into my first and most comprehensive comic book collection.


Emma was out most of today at a freestyle embroidery class and left me with strict orders to relax and enjoy myself after an unexpected bout of RSI and other, unrelated stress induced issues.

Today was supposed to be a me day.

So naturally I cracked on with my review of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 for Anime Courtyard, did some social networking and sent some emails. It wasn't until way after lunch that I forced myself to engage in the alien concept of "doing whatever I wanted" and cracked out some comic books.

Of the comics I read, one of them was an issue of Sonic the Comic -- issue 127 to be precise -- my very first issue. Re-reading my old Sonic the Comic issues has been on my to-do list for many, many years now, partly because I need to justify holding onto them for so long, and also because I'm interested in getting into the Sonic the Comic Online revival project.

That time Super Sonic was a homicidal psychopath -- Thanks to Kitching and Elson


But every time I would go to read these tatty old comic books, I'd usually just end up looking at the covers and reminiscing. I was frightened. Frightened that Sonic the Comic wasn't as good as I remembered, or worse; that it could actually have been rubbish all along.

I took the plunge today and made my way through each of the four strips contained within Sonic the Comic issue 127. Thankfully, the stories were exactly how I remembered them, with the same, oddly serious tone of Nigel Kitching and Richard Elson's stories/art, Lew Stringer's more humorous tales, and Mick McMahon's truly abysmal artwork. 

The dialogue is simple, as is the artwork, yet it manages to strike a balance that, at the age of nine years old, left me feeling as though I was being taken seriously despite my young age -- something I can appreciate from a creative standpoint now that I'm older.

Sonic the Comic issue 127 was an easy read and even though it wasn't as hip and rad as I remember it being back in 1998, it's certainly the springboard I needed to launch me knee-deep into the rest of my collection.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.