Thursday, 15 May 2014

Retro Gaming: Japanese Ghouls 'n Ghosts/ Daimakaimura

Daimakaimura


I've gone and bought myself another Japanese Mega Drive game for my budding sub-collection: Daimakaimura. The game is, however, widely known the world over for its English incarnation as the infamous retro gaming classic Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Emma and I went back to Leeds seeing as it was her birthday and we both like Leeds quite a lot. It was in Leeds that we met and we also spent three years living there while attending university. Naturally, we know the city of very well and knew exactly where to go to get our retro gaming fixes.


Ghouls n ghosts Japanese
Click to enlarge
Back when I was at university between 2007 and 2010 there was a retro gaming shop by the name of "Arcadia" hidden down a back road near a independent record shop and the wholesome family restaurant "Chicken Cottage". 

The variety of retro games and consoles sold at Arcadia combined with their generous prices allowed me to dive right into retro gaming. In fact, I'd say the shop's existence was influential in my decision to make retro gaming a full-on hobby.

Anyway, Arcadia was bought up by a seedy pawn broker which quickly went bust mid-2010. To my surprise, a (mostly) retro gaming shop by the name of "Convert 2 Cash" stood in its place when I went to find it last weekend. It's now being run by some young, plucky cats who were eager to get my cash into their wallets, yet knowledgeable enough about the stuff they were selling.

Ghouls n ghosts Japanese
Click to enlarge
Long-story-short, after turning down a lovely copy of Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast, an unboxed copy of Super Castlevania IV and a Japanese version of Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, I settled on Daimakaimura. It set me back £20, but it's complete and in good condition. I've always wanted to try my hand at the Ghosts 'n Goblins series, with me assuming that the Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the Game Boy Advance we have here was extra hard in its design.

How wrong I was.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.