Thursday, 3 July 2014

PC Games I'll be Playing Soon





Yesterday saw the arrival of Emma's new computer and our entry into the wonderful world of PC gaming. Between us we have over 200 games on Steam alone (which is a modest amount from what I gather), the vast majority of which were unplayable on our old laptop. 

I'm a tad overwhelmed by the large volume of videogames at fingertips, but once the obligatory cascade of Windows 7 updates were dealt with, I went ahead an installed a few titles I'd like to crack into soon. 

Here's what's on the cards:

Pinball FX2
I bought a whole bunch of tables for Pinball FX2 during one of the many Humble Weekly Sales. The game worked fairly well on my laptop, but some of the tables were slightly too intensive for my puny integrated graphics chip. The result was a small but significant delay in flipping the flippers. I like themed pinball videogames by the way.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Anyone who followed my work back at Sega Addicts will know that the original Soul Reaver is one of my all time favourite videogames. The mixture of a dystopian, gothic world inhabited by monstrous vampires, an engrossing storyline and mythology. and solid 3D action and puzzle solving was unlike anything I'd played at the time. It's always a joy to return once more to the dying land of Nosgoth.

Sanctum 2
I originally played and reviewed Sanctum 2 for Geek Insider back when I had access to a decent PC. I distinctly remember turning my nose up at the idea of an FPS tower defence hybrid, but being quickly wooed by the quirky character and enemy designs and the generally bright and colourful aesthetics -- not to mention the super fun gameplay.

They Bleed Pixels
I bought this game in a Steam sale ages ago, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to run it. But my patience has paid off as now I can play one of my most anticipated indie games of 2012. I haven't been let down by an independently developed, retro inspired 2D platformer yet, so here's hoping They Bleed Pixels doesn't disappoint.

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
As with Soul Reaver, Abe's Exoddus was one of the first games I'd played that wasn't at least partially targeted at children. In fact, I played the PC version Abe's Exoddus before I got a PlayStation, so coming from my Sega Mega Drive to such a thematically and visually grim puzzle platformer was a real eye-opener. I don't know how this'll look on my HD television, but hopefully it's playable.

All The Rest
Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube, Burnout Paradise, Fez, Hotline Miami, The Walking Dead, Bit.Trip Runner, Doom 3, Jamestown, Painkiller, Alan Wake, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Serious Sam 3, Zeno Clash and on and on and on.

It's certainly an exciting time for me and Emma, at least in terms of videogaming. If you want to know what Steam games I have, in case you want to badger me via Steam or something, then have a peek through this link.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.