Thursday, 24 July 2014

TSSZ: Vertical Slice - So Called Journalism

My latest opinion piece for TSSZ is live: Vertical Slice - So Called Journalism.

I have now had ten Sega related opinion pieces published by TSSZ, most of which have received an overwhelmingly negative response by commenters. 

The responses themselves don't bother me all that much. In fact, I revel in the attention my articles get regardless of the comments they receive. Furthermore, the edge of the most hurtful comments is dulled by the writers' poor use of spelling, grammar and punctuation. It's saddening to think that a benign opinion piece about the ridiculousness of Shadow the Hedgehog can legitimately hurt the feelings of another human being, but hilarious when that same human being rants and raves like a eight year old zealot.

But if there's one comment that truly gets under my skin, it's when TSSZ readers attempt to devalue my opinion by labelling me a "so called journalist". Not only does it give the impression that such commenters are not fully aware of what journalism is, it also shows disrespect for those who engage in genuine journalism for the benefits that true journalism brings.

And that's why I've written this article: to remind TSSZ readers that I'm not a journalist, and that the journalism that they refer to when they whip out the curly quotation marks -- that being "videogame journalism" -- isn't journalism either.

Of course, I don't expect this Vertical Slice to receive as many comments as previous ones, mainly because I've spent a great deal of time refining and rewriting my argument to the best of my abilities, and because I'm using one of the arguments used to devalue my work against the devaluers. Nevertheless, I ask that you head over to TSSZ and read "So Called Journalism". And if you have something to say about it, by all means let me know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.