Monday, 24 November 2014

I Bought a Thing: ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

About a month ago I ventured into the West Midlands' Aladdin's cave of retro gaming -- a shop with a name so generic I can't truly recall it -- I think it was called "Games and Consoles". Anyway, this place still advertises the buying and selling of Sega Mega Drive and Super Nintendo games as well as its low, low prices on new PlayStation 1 games.

Inside is an indescribable mess of toys, electronics and videogames piled haphazardly behind a long glass counter filled with everything from N-Gage phones, to CD-i games, to spaghetti messes of composite cables. If you ask the shopkeeper nicely, as I did, you'll be taken a secret room in the back lined with hundreds of boxed Mega Drive.

And when I say "secret room", I mean the shop's toilet.


After a while of sorting through dusty games and dodging dirtied porcelain, I made a few purchases. One such purchase was this complete copy of ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron for £10.


I never thought that Panic on Funkotron was particularly rare or expensive, but over the last few years I've had trouble finding a decent copy for a reasonable price. In fact, at Retro Game Beurs Deurne 2012 a Dutch fellow tried to sell me a German copy of Panic on Funkotron for €50 -- outrageous!

With that in mind, I consider the copy I bought as somewhat of a bargain. It's in surprisingly good condition, isn't sun bleached as far as I can tell, and even has that stupid tab thingy at the top.

Panic on Funkotron was always one of my favourite games and my brother William and I frequently borrowed it from my uncle. I recall having my own copy when I was younger, but I clearly lost it at some point. Maybe I leant it to the same person who never returned Ristar and Mega Bomberman.

So enjoy the photos I've uploaded, and hopefully I'll persuade Emma to play ToeJam & Earl with me in the near future!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.