Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Soci of Metro - 150 Pages


Soci of Metro is the most important thing to me in the entire world right now. Every moment I can spare is spent working on the novel; rewriting, fixing, nipping and tucking. So you'd think I'd have more to say about my novel writing endeavour, wouldn't you?


I've been meaning to write a blog post on my progress on Soci of Metro for some time. In fact, I've been planning to write a post once a week, and only because I don't have the time to record and edit my defunct podcast, MegaWestgarth's By The Victors. But it doesn't happen. Most of the time it's because I simply don't feel like I have anything to say.

Rewriting my novel is an extremely difficult process -- it pushes me to the creative brink, wears me down physically and mentally, and presents me with literary problems that haunt me throughout the day, and in my dreams at night. I love rewriting Soci of Metro, but it also makes me tired and miserable. And who wants to hear about that?

I wanted to write something when I'd reached 100 pages of rewriting, but I didn't. Then I made it half ways through at around the 130 page mark, but I didn't write about that either. Now I've completed over 150 pages and am working my way through the story's second act.

And how am I progressing? If you'd asked me two weeks ago I'd say things are pretty terrible. But Emma made me go over my old drafts -- which I try to to back up every other day -- and in January of this year I rewrote 80 pages, and about 60 in Nov/Dec 2014. As it stands Soci of Metro is a total of 275 A4 pages of double spaced text, so how much longer should it take? A couple of months. That's what I'm hoping. Ready for spring.

That would make me very happy.

There is one thing I'd like to mention. The Soci of Metro sidebar on this blog is changing. I'm going to do a daily tally of the amount of rewritten pages I complete, as well as including a percentage of the how far through the rewriting process I am. So be sure to keep an eye on that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.