Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Soci of Metro - 200 Pages




It doesn't seem all that long ago that I was talking about my novel "Soci of Metro" and how I'd rewritten 150 pages. Now I'm happy to say that I've reached 200.

I suppose it doesn't really mean all that much -- 198 pages would've taken almost the same amount of work, give or take a few hours -- but 200 sounds like a big number.

It is a big number.

I recently had a flick through the hard copy of my "second first draft". It's a tatty collection of A4 pages cobbled together from the original first draft, and supplemented with the chapters and scene changes from the second first draft. It's a bit of a mess, but it's all there, and it's a total of 150 pages long.

That means that during the rewriting of my novel, I've added roughly 50 pages of new material. The number goes even higher when you consider that I've actually removed two old chapters during the rewrite.

My second draft is now well over 80,000 words long and over 300 pages of double spaced text. That's a nice, hearty size, the size I want my novel to be. Although I worry that if things continue the way they are now, it might grow to be 350, maybe 400 pages once I'm done. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I've actually taken a week off from rewriting Soci of Metro. It was getting to a point where I was having trouble relaxing during my strict "NO WRITING ALLOWED" times of day. I was even dreaming about the characters, although in none-novel settings. And in one the titular character led me to my old place of work at the dreaded Dutch call centre.



So anyway, this last week I've been working on rewriting an older short story of mine titled "Jonny, the One and Only". The story itself was fine, it just needed some revised sentence structures, better verbs, less adverbs -- the usual. I'm finding that I'm a better writer than I was even six months ago, which I'm proud of, although I'm not sure how this has happened.

Maybe it's because I've been reading more than ever. Over the last month or two I've aimed to read shorter books by numerous authors of different styles. I've successfully blasted through Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines, Joyce Carol Oates's The Corn Maiden, Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep and almost have the Platinum trophy on Stephen King's Carrie.

I also finally posted the 2000AD script I've had sitting on my hard drive for months on end. It was complete, formatted and ready to go. I just needed to write a synopsis. And synopses are scary. It's a an original script intended for 2000AD's renowned one-shot "Future Shocks". It's a numbers game, and the odds are against me, but we'll see.

And that's that. Hopefully I'll be updating this blog with news of 250 rewritten pages sooner rather than later.

P.S. The awful, awful paragraph featured in the header image doesn't exist any more. I uppercut it into orbit then threw it into the sun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.