Saturday, 18 April 2015

Soci of Metro - 250 Pages



"Soci of Metro" is the name of the novel I've been working on over the last nine months. I'll admit that I've been quiet about it, but that's not for want of sharing. I genuinely don't feel like I have much to say nor celebrate about until the "final" draft is complete.

But this time in February I wrote about how I'd reached the half-way point of my novel's rewrite by reaching 150 pages. This time a month ago I'd reached 200. And now I'm happy to share that I've reached 250 pages.

In fact, I'm at 266 words out of 336 for a completion percentage of almost 80%. And it feels great.


In terms of word count I'm at roughly 95,000, which is likely to be over 100,000 once I'm done with the rewrite. That's pretty scary considering the very first draft was a mere 45,000 words. But I despise flowery waffle, and have been rigorously cutting entire scenes and chapters from my novel as I go. Therefore I genuinely think the 95,000 words I've rewritten so far is good stuff and that the rest of my rewrite will consist of enjoyable, readable prose as well.

At this rate my novel should be finished and in a state that I'd deem readable in about two months. That being said, there's a a bunch of simple continuity errors I've been making notes for as I go, and the first four or five chapters could do with another quick rewrite to ensure a consistent tone throughout.

But I'm happy. The end is actually in sight. At this moment in time, nothing really matters apart from the novel. And in just a few months I'll be able to share it with other people for feedback.

Also, if you still haven't, please read of my 300 word piece of flash fiction published on Grievous Angel. It'll take a few minutes of your time, doesn't cost you a thing, and will help me out in the process.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.