Wednesday, 10 August 2016

The Hellbound Heart's Super Amazing and Cheesy Cover



I've been looking for a copy of The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker for ages. Now I have one. And blimey, look at that super-awesome-cheesy cover.

I don't usually make blog posts about the books I buy, or books I borrow from the library, because who cares? I already have a list of books I'm reading down this blog's right-hand side, and I don't want to write reviews. But damn, The Hellbound Heart. Damn.

A hundred years ago I read Clive Barker's Books of Blood Vol. 1-3. It really changed my opinion of modern horror stories for the better. Most of those stories had this slick, streamlined writing style that lacked a lot of the verbose fluff that unfortunately made its way into most of Vol. 4-6. The stories were concise, and jagged, and full of blood and guts and monsters and demons of all the best kinds. I mean, just read Dread, or Jacqueline Ess, or Human Remains, or The Madonna, or The Skins of the Fathers.

Again, damn.

From there I read what I could—namely Mister B. Gone and Abarat—and wasn't satisfied. Many of Clive Barker's horror novels look like tomes to me, and I really wanted more of those slick, streamlined short stories. Then I read about the novella The Hellbound Heart, and became intrigued.

Most will know of The Hellbound Heart as its film incarnation Hellraiser. Clive Barker, after his dissatisfaction at seeing his screenplays turned into cheap B-movies, aimed to direct his own using The Hellbound Heart as the basis. Like I said, intriguing stuff. But the real reason I wanted to read The Hellbound Heart was because of its seeming proximity to Books of Blood.

But libraries don't carry it, nor the anthology it originally appeared in. And I've never been able to find it in any charity shop. And the prices for new copies on Amazon are extortionate.

Anyway, Emma recently bought some accountancy text books off eBay, and saw that the seller had a used copy of The Hellbound Heart. And now it, and its stupid/ amazing cover are all mine.

It's just a pity I don't have the Japanese version to stare at.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.